Matching Awards Program Focus
The National Forest Foundation (NFF) Matching Awards Program (MAP) provides funding for results-oriented on-the-ground projects that enhance forest health and outdoor experiences on National Forests and Grasslands.
- January 13, 2021: Deadline for Round 1 MAP Applications
- December 10, 2020: Informational Webinar on MAP
- June 9, 2021: Deadline for Round 2 MAP Applications
Summary of Program Requirements
The MAP program supports action-oriented projects that enhance outdoor experiences, forest and ecosystem health, and engage local communities in caring for their public lands.
- Geographic Scope: National, must benefit US National Forests and Grasslands
(Note: some restrictions apply in areas where the NFF operates other grant programs)
- Funding Source: Federal funds via the US Forest Service
- Eligible Applicants: 501(c)(3) nonprofits, universities, and federally-recognized Native American tribes
- Match Requirements: 1:1 nonfederal cash match
- Program Areas: All MAP applications must align with one or both of the NFF’s strategic focus areas of Outdoor Experiences and Forest Health. Applications that cohesively integrate the two program areas are encouraged.
- Project Timing: Eligible projects are no more than 12 months in duration, and start roughly two months after the application deadline.
- Letters of Support: All applications must include a letter of support from the Forest Supervisor of each National Forest or Grassland unit included in a proposal.
- Environmental Compliance: All permitting and environmental compliance work (including but not limited to NEPA) must be complete before submitting a MAP application.
Header photo by Sage Brown, courtesy of Northwest Youth Corps
Sign up here to receive our quarterly Taproot eNewsletter and occasional additional notifications relevant to your geographic area. These newsletters include grant opportunities, webinars, collaboration resources, stories from previous grantees, and more.
Request for Proposals - Full Program Details
Click the button below to review the MAP Request for Proposals (RFP) which contains full program requirements.
The NFF held an informational webinar about the Matching Awards Program on Thursday, December 10, 2020. Click the buttons below to view slides and a recording from the webinar.
If you have reviewed the RFP and still have questions about program eligibility, feel free to contact the NFF. Requesting feedback from NFF staff about eligibility is encouraged to ensure you are submitting a proposal that will not be disqualified. Be sure to reach out well in advance of the deadline to ensure there is time to answer your questions. Contact information is provided below.
Additional resources include: