Lake Tahoe West Restoration Partnership
The Lake Tahoe West Restoration Partnership (Lake Tahoe West) is developing a Landscape Restoration Strategy to guide restoration activities on 60,000 acres of Lake Tahoe's west shore. The goal is to increase the resilience of this landscape and to protect against prolonged drought, climate change, and extreme fire.
The Partnership includes scientists, land managers, multiple federal and state agencies, and organizations representing business, recreation, and conservation.
Projects to protect west shore communities from wildland fire are already underway. In fall 2019, the Lake Tahoe West partners will release a final Landscape Restoration Strategy and begin planning additional forest and watershed restoration projects on the west shore.
This page provides information on the Partnership, upcoming stakeholder meetings, and essential documents.
For questions, please contact Sarah Di Vittorio, Lake Tahoe West Program Manager, at 530-902-8281 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Key project resources
- Project Description and Map (PDF)
- Lake Tahoe West Landscape Resilience Assessment (December 11, 2017) (PDF, 12MB)
- Overview (pdf) of the Landscape Resilience Assessment
- Project FTP Site. Contains stakeholder meeting materials and essential project documents.
- Lake Tahoe West Interactive Web Map
In September 2019 the Partnership will achieve consensus on the Landscape Restoration Strategy. Download this short Strategy overview (pdf) to learn more.
The forests, lakes, and alpine peaks of Lake Tahoe’s west shore make it one of America’s iconic landscapes. The region as a whole is home to 65,000 residents and attracts over 6.4 million annual visitors. Yet persistent drought, climate change, overstocked forests, and a potential bark beetle epidemic threaten its ecology, economy, and culture.
The goal of Lake Tahoe West is to restore the resilience of the west shore's forests, watersheds, recreational opportunities, and communities to such threats. The planning area includes 59,013 acres of federal, state, local, and private lands, from Emerald Bay to Squaw Valley.
Lake Tahoe West is a multi-stakeholder collaborative initiative convened by California Tahoe Conservancy, U.S. Forest Service Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit, California State Parks, Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, Tahoe Fire and Fuels Team, and National Forest Foundation.
Upcoming STAKEHOLDER MEETINGS
- Tentative: October 7th, 2019: Joint Stakeholder Science & Stakeholder Community Committees Meeting from 9:00am - 4:00pm at Tahoe Regional Planning Agency.
- November 1, 2019: Release of final, fully formatted Landscape Restoration Strategy.
- November 5, 2019: Stakeholder Science Committee Meeting from 9:00am - 4:00pm at the Lahontan Water Board Annex, 971 Silver Dollar Ave., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150.
- December 3, 2019: Joint Stakeholder Science & Stakeholder Community Meeting from 11:00am - 5:00pm at the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, 128 Market St., Stateline, NV 89410.
Stakeholder meetings are open to the public throughout this multi-year effort. RSVP from public parties is requested (but not required) by three business days before the meeting. Please email email@example.com to RSVP.
Stakeholder Group Meeting synopses
- August 27, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- August 6, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- July 10, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- June 25, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- May 7, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- March 26, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- February 12, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- December 4, 2018 - Meeting Agenda
- November 14, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- October 2, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- October 9, 2018 - Field Visit Summary
- September 4, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- August 14, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- July 10, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- June 12, 2018 - Field Visit Summary
- June 5, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- May 1, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- April 3, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- February 6, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- January 9, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- December 5, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- November 7, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- October 4, 2017 - Field Visit Summary
- October 3, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- September 6, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- August 10, 2017 - Webinar Summary
- July 6, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- June 7, 2017 - Field Visit Summary
- June 6, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- May 2, 2017 - Webinar Summary
- April 4, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- March 7, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- February 7, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- November 30, 2016 - Project Kick-off Meeting Summary
This initiative is generously supported by two Proposition 1 planning grants from the California Tahoe Conservancy to the National Forest Foundation, agreement number CTA 15 018L, and a State Fire Assistance grant from the U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Region, grant award number 17-DG-11052012-145.