Lake Tahoe West Restoration Partnership
The Lake Tahoe West Restoration Partnership (Lake Tahoe West) is a collaborative effort to restore the resilience of forests, watersheds, and communities on 59,013 acres of Lake Tahoe's west shore.
Public Scoping period completed
The public scoping period for the Lake Tahoe West Restoration Project ended at midnight on May 26, 2020. Led by the USDA Forest Service Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit (LTBMU), California Tahoe Conservancy (Conservancy), and Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (TRPA), the project will restore forests, meadows, streams, and wildlife habitat across the West Shore of the Lake Tahoe Basin. It is based on the comprehensive Lake Tahoe West Landscape Restoration Strategy.
The project is on the LTBMU’s Projects webpage (scroll down to "Developing Proposal" and select the "Lake Tahoe West" link). The agencies hosted two public meetings to share information about the project on April 22 and April 28, 2020.
Lake Tahoe West Science Symposium - May 19 & 29, 2020
The Lake Tahoe West Restoration Partnership hosted a 2-day Science Symposium on May 19 & 29.
Goals and Agenda. The primary goal of the Symposium was to present findings from the LTW modeling effort and discuss how those results inform future resilience of the Lake Tahoe basin landscape. The Symposium also highlighted how modeling results informed the LTW Landscape Restoration Strategy and may inform the environmental analysis of the LTW Restoration Project.
How to attend: This is a remote meeting via Zoom. To attend, you will need to register here in advance of the meeting. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about how to join the meeting. By registering once, you can attend both days.
KEY PROJECT RESOURCES
- Scoping Notice / Notice of Preparation (April 10, 2020) - links to Forest Service LTBMU Lake Tahoe West Project Page
- Landscape Restoration Strategy (December 2, 2019)
- Lake Tahoe West Landscape Resilience Assessment (December 11, 2017) (PDF, 12MB)
- Overview (pdf) of the Landscape Resilience Assessment
- Project Description and Map (PDF)
- Project FTP Site. Contains stakeholder meeting materials and essential project documents.
- Lake Tahoe West Stakeholders
- Lake Tahoe West Interactive Web Map
- Lake Tahoe West Visual Arts Projects:
The forests, lakes, and alpine peaks of Lake Tahoe’s west shore make it one of America’s iconic landscapes. The region as a whole is home to 54,000 residents and attracts over 6.4 million annual visitors.
Wildfire, drought, and insects and disease epidemics—pressures that are amplified by climate change—threaten forests, watersheds, and communities across the Lake Tahoe West landscape.
The goal of Lake Tahoe West is to restore the resilience of the west shore's forests, watersheds, recreational opportunities, and communities to such threats. The planning area includes approximately 59,000 acres of federal, state, local, and private lands, from Emerald Bay to Squaw Valley.
Lake Tahoe West is a multi-stakeholder collaborative initiative convened by California Tahoe Conservancy, U.S. Forest Service Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit, California State Parks, Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, Tahoe Fire and Fuels Team, and National Forest Foundation.
Upcoming STAKEHOLDER MEETINGS
- June 2nd, 2020 from 12:30-3:00 pm. This meeting will likely be conducted virtually due to COVID-19.
Stakeholder meetings are open to the public throughout this multi-year effort. RSVP from public parties is requested (but not required) by three business days before the meeting. Please email email@example.com to RSVP.
Stakeholder Group Meeting synopses
- March 3, 2020 - Meeting Summary
- February 4, 2020 - Meeting Summary
- December 11, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- November 5, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- October 7, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- September 3, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- August 27, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- August 6, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- July 10, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- June 25, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- May 7, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- March 26, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- February 12, 2019 - Meeting Summary
- December 4, 2018 - Meeting Agenda
- November 14, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- October 2, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- October 9, 2018 - Field Visit Summary
- September 4, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- August 14, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- July 10, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- June 12, 2018 - Field Visit Summary
- June 5, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- May 1, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- April 3, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- February 6, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- January 9, 2018 - Meeting Summary
- December 5, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- November 7, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- October 4, 2017 - Field Visit Summary
- October 3, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- September 6, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- August 10, 2017 - Webinar Summary
- July 6, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- June 7, 2017 - Field Visit Summary
- June 6, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- May 2, 2017 - Webinar Summary
- April 4, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- March 7, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- February 7, 2017 - Meeting Summary
- November 30, 2016 - Project Kick-off Meeting Summary
This initiative is generously supported by two Proposition 1 planning grants from the California Tahoe Conservancy to the National Forest Foundation, agreement number CTA 15 018L, and a State Fire Assistance grant from the U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Region, grant award number 17-DG-11052012-145.