Brimming with natural values for America's people and communities, our 193-million-acre National Forest System gives us clean air and water, diverse wildlife habitat and abundant outdoor recreation opportunities. Today, the challenges to the future of all these values are as complex and numerous as the forest ecosystems themselves. From wildfire to invasive species to climate change, many factors threaten the resources we need and the wild places we cherish.
Since 2009, our Treasured Landscapes, Unforgettable Experiences program has accomplished significant restoration results on our National Forests and Grasslands. Through creative communication and community engagement efforts we’ve also connected hundreds of thousands of Americans with their backyard forests.
The Treasured Landscapes, Unforgettable Experiences program has improved wildlife habitat and recreation opportunities in Arkansas; restored two Wild and Scenic Rivers in Central Oregon; pioneered post-fire restoration in one of Denver’s key watersheds; and enhanced critical salmon habitat in Alaska. At each of these sites we also increased the capacity of local groups to remain involved with forest stewardship.
Despite these and other successes, there is still much to do. We are expanding the program to new landscapes in need on the National Forest System. Check out where we’re working in the list below.
- Find Your Fourteener, Colorado
- Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie, Illinois
- Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, Washington
- Mt. Hood National Forest, Oregon
- Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests, North Carolina
- Northern Arizona Forest Fund, Arizona
- Ocala National Forest, Florida
- San Gabriel Mountains National Monument, California
- Tahoe National Forest and Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit, California
- Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest, Utah
- White Mountain National Forest, New Hampshire
- White River National Forest, Colorado
You can help
Your support enables us to continue important restoration work on these Treasured Landscapes. When you donate, select which site you would like to support.